Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Cold Snaps. Heat Waves...

It hasn't started snowing in Edinburgh yet. But it has started to get cold. Winter is in the air.

It was hot in July, though. Remember? Even in Scotland there was a heatwave. I took a week off and went to the Cairngorms. I started at Braemar with the intention of looping over some hills and then paddling out to the East Coast by way of the River Dee. As it happened the spell of great weather meant the Dee, which is generally regarded as good-to-go all year round, was reduced to a non-doable trickle.



So the paddling was curtailed. And I hurt my leg, which kept me low for a couple of days (meaning I missed out on some of the hills I'd planned to climb). But on the upside there was a lot of good swimming in small pools and lochs. And there was some good camping, some great summits, and very few midges (oddly enough).

The long summer days seem a long way away now!

Roll on the winter fun.


Loch Avon

Looking north from the summit tor of Ben Avon.

Snow Bunting? At the summit of Beinn ' Bhuird




Beinn ' Bhuird from Beinn Avon

The Shelter Stone. A legendary doss, if ever there was one. Sleeps a dozen.

Shelter Stone crag


Camp beneath Creagan a Choire Etchachan (before packing up in favour of a night in the Hutchison Hut)



The Hutchison Hut, generally regarded as an awful doss in a great location. But it has been recently done out nicely, and I found a far more comfortable bothy than I remember from my last visit.

Inside the Hutchison Hut, which now features cozy wood paneling and a very effective wood burning stove.

A great little swimming pool on Derry Burn

Camp in Glen Derry

"Gasherbrum, Masherbrum, Distighil Sar, All are good training for Dark Lochnagar."

Camp beside Loch Muick






No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Grid North by David Hine is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.